Tuesday, May 9, 2017


Post Written By: Kim Hatch
Year: Senior
Major(s): Early Childhood - Middle Childhood

WOW!  The last few weeks have been crazy!  I am officially in Kindergarten now and it is certainly a far cry from fifth grade!  Instead of teaching about Order of Operations and dividing fractions I am teaching about partners of ten, teen numbers, and adding within twenty.  Kindergarten is a very different world than fifth grade, but I am getting used to it and enjoying it.  There is something about the little minds of five-year-olds that is so precious and wonderful every day.  

We packed so much fun into a short week last week.  We had a three day week with a half-day on Wednesday.  We did an experiment with Peeps where we made predictions about what would happen if we put them in water, soda, and vinegar.  Then we put a Peep in each liquid and left it for two days.  On Wednesday, we took the Peeps out of the liquid compared their look and feel to their original state.  Surprisingly, they don't really break down at all, they just get puffy and then flatten a bit.  It was such a cool experiment for the kids to see how the scientific process works (in shortened form) and how we can use predictions to learn about science.  The kids got a kick out of seeing the Peeps transform.

Spring has officially sprung in La Crosse and I couldn't be more excited!  We are teaching the kids about how "April showers bring May flowers" and they have decided to measure how much rain we have in April.  Their system for measuring isn't really a measurement, but really just how many days of rain we get.  Each morning they look out the window to see if it is raining and make a tally mark on the board if it is.  I am pretty impressed that they are using what they have learned about making charts to track the rain.  The tally marks accidentally got erased one day and the kids all worked together to figure out how to redo it.  My cooperating teacher and I sat back and let them figure it out instead of intervening.  Sometimes I think we don't give kids enough credit, but this showed us that not only are they understanding what they are learning, but they are finding ways to apply it.  It's really neat to see it all in action.  

Funny story from today....  At the end of the day a student gave me a hug and told me I looked like a ham sandwich.  I have absolutely no idea what he meant or what he was talking about.  I asked him what he meant and he said "I like ham".  I guess I'll take it as a compliment.  I'm not sure how else to take it.  I don't really like ham; perhaps I can convince him to let me be turkey instead, or maybe a nice pb&j?  Kindergarten is certainly never boring!  =)

I can't believe how quickly the time is flying by.  It seems like the week just started and it's almost over already.  The days are definitely starting to run together and I don't know where the time goes.  I feel like I am in this strangely exciting season of life where I am so looking forward to graduation in a few weeks, completing student teaching, and applying for jobs all while coming to terms with the idea that I have worked so hard for this and now it's almost here.  As strange as it sounds, what they say is right, "The days are long, but the years are short".  It's weird to think about how it was four years ago that I realized I wasn't happy in my major a semester before graduating, decided to transfer schools and change my major to education.  It's been quite a journey with lots of ups and downs, but at the end of the day, I absolutely love teaching and I can't imagine doing anything else.