Monday, September 26, 2016

Post Written By: Brett Pickarts
Year: Senior
Major(s): Middle Childhood-Early Adolescent Education
Minor(s): General Science
 
Hello everyone! This is my first time contributing to the School of Education Blog and I am very excited to share my experiences as a teacher candidate in student teaching. My name is Brett Pickarts and I am a fifth year senior studying Middle Childhood-Early Adolescence Education with a General Science Minor. I am originally from Janesville, Wisconsin which is about thirty miles south of Madison. Deciding on UW-L was an easy choice for me as it was the perfect distance away from home (not too far away to enjoy a home cooked meal), and the incredible reputation that the School of Education has across the UW System and school districts. The School of Education, along with the extraordinary and dedicated university staff, cooperating teachers and advisors, have prepared me to be successful and knowledgeable within many different disciplines and practices in today’s classroom. For that, I am very thankful to write for the School of Education Blog and represent UW-L in the Institute of Urban Education in Milwaukee Public Schools this semester.  
 My work experience with kiddos from Milwaukee at Camp Whitcomb/Mason, guidance from Dr. Ann Yehle, attending the American Middle Level Education Conference in Nashville, and my diverse field experiences, I became interested in becoming a teacher and contributing to urban education. At the first student teaching meeting, Cindy Duley discussed a unique opportunity to participate in a program in Milwaukee Public Schools. At the first chance, with excitement I might add, I applied and was accepted to participate in the program that is conducted by UW-Milwaukee and accepts applicants from the entire UW system. Milwaukee Public Schools is an extremely large district with tons of energy and enthusiasm to serve their students.  After the teacher pep rally at the BMO Harris Bradley Center (where the Bucks play), useful professional development, and meeting parents at an open house I am very enthusiastic on how much I can learn this semester being part of the Milwaukee Public School family. I am enjoying my time at Garland School (Pre K-8) and look forward to sharing more about my new life as a student teacher and a new resident of the great city of Milwaukee.