Tuesday, September 27, 2016

A Little Bit About Me

Post Written By: Elizabeth Greene
Year: Sophomore
Major(s): Middle Childhood-Early Adolescent Education
Minor(s): Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)


Hi everyone! This is my first time blogging for the school of education so I will start out with a little introduction. My name is Elizabeth Greene, but most people call me Izzy. I am a sophomore here at UW-L and a middle childhood-early adolescence major with a teaching English to speakers of other languages minor (TESOL). I am from Brookfield, Wisconsin which is a suburb of Milwaukee. I chose to come to school here for many reasons. For me it was a perfect school. My dad grew up around here, so I have a lot of family in the area, and it is also a good distance from home. The school of education also has a great reputation, and I knew coming into school that that was what I had wanted to go into.

I have always loved being around kids. I regularly babysat, volunteered at schools, and I worked as a nanny so choosing the school of education was an easy choice for me. I have wanted to be a teacher for as long as I can remember, and starting classes here just reinforced that. I have had an incredible experience in the program so far. Last year I was involved in a few different activities through the School of Education. One was through Logan Middle School here in La Crosse. A group of students from one of my classes would plan mini lessons based on what the students were learning and we would spend time teaching and working with the students on their homework. This was a great opportunity for us to be teaching some already in our freshman year. I also had the opportunity to go to the Western Wisconsin Educators Conference. This was another great way for me to get involved in the teaching community early on in my studies. This year I will be tutoring again this time at Hamilton Elementary School, and I am so excited to work with students again. I have just recently applied to the School of Education, and I can’t wait to continue my journey through the program.
 

I am looking forward to continuing to post about my journey here throughout the semester. I hope that it helps you to learn a little bit more about what it’s like to be at this point in the MC-EA program here at UW-L.