Monday, February 22, 2016

I'm a new blogger, so...about me!

Post Written By: A.J. Day
Year: Junior
Major: English Education

Hey, everyone! This is my first blog post for the UW-L School of Education. That being said, I'll let you know a little bit about my journey toward deciding to be a teacher.

When I came to La Crosse, I was originally an ESS major. I wanted to be a sports psychologist. This profession attracted me because I am a huge sports fan (in fact, I play football here at UW-L). I have a passion for leadership, and I wanted to help mold these athletes into great leaders. However, I soon realized that I didn't want to work with just a few athletes. I wanted to have a positive impact on as many people as possible, and what better way to mold people into leaders than to be an English teacher? High school is where students begin to become who they will be. It is so exciting to me that I could play a part in that maturation, and it is what will keep me excited about education and being a teacher.

I made this realization right before the start of my sophomore year here. I changed my major in the fall of 2014, got admitted to the STEP program in the spring of 2015, and I haven't looked back. I did my first field experience with 6th graders and Onalaska Middle School, and I am currently doing my second field experience at Logan high school, working with mostly seniors. This is very exciting for me since my ideal teaching position includes working with seniors and coaching football and track & field.

I will be posting a few more times throughout the semester with more detailed descriptions of the life and times of A.J. in the School of Ed. Thanks for reading, and please continue to come back and see my future posts!

Onward!