Friday, August 7, 2015

To Infinity and Beyond

Post Written By: Abi Nixon
Year: Senior
Major(s): Middle Childhood-Early Adolescent Education
Minor(s): General Science


"Breakthrough is a memory that I will always have in my life. It has shown me that there is a group of scholars who mean business when it comes to education. That there is a group of future teachers who will be amazing teachers one day, that show that they care about who you are as a individual and want you to succeed in live. Who never gives up on you. That's why I love Breakthrough." -Germain

"Breakthrough is a memory that I will always have in my life. It has shown me that there is a group of scholars who mean business when it comes to education. That there is a group of future teachers who will be amazing teachers one day, that show that they care about who you are as a individual and want you to succeed in live. Who never gives up on you. That's why I love Breakthrough." -Germain



Wow! So much has happened in the last two weeks!  From a college visit to St. John's and St. Ben's to getting pie thrown into my face, my time at Breakthrough has been flying by too fast!  On Saturday, my summer of teaching these amazing Breakthrough students will be over, and all I can say is that there will be tears.  This summer I have met amazing students and have discovered a lot about myself.  In this blog,  I just want to share some pictures that represent the last two weeks because I really sometimes think that the only way to describe what is happening in my life at Breakthrough is by showing pictures.


This picture is of my college (Brown College) playing Predator Prey.  At Breakthrough, on Friday afternoon, we do Friday activities instead of classes.  This model helps students end their week on a high note and want to come back to Breakthrough on Monday refreshed and ready to learn!  Predator Prey is basically a strategic game of tag.  Brown College played Predator Prey very well and ended up never getting tagged by any predators!


Students get to go to Yo-Time everyday to relax and participate in an activity of their choosing.  One of our most popular Yo-Times is hair braiding.  I learned a whole bunch of new ways to braid my hair this summer.  I also got henna and my nails done during Yo-Time too!  Another popular Yo-Time is dodgeball!

One really neat experience my students had this summer was going on a college visit to St. John's and St. Ben's.  For many students, this was their first experience seeing a college.  Breakthrough does a great job of taking students to many diverse colleges throughout their six year Breakthrough experience.  The picture on the right is the speaker from St. Ben's telling the students six things that all students need to experience during their college career to have a successful life after college.  During my time at UW-L, I have experienced all six things that make up a great college experience!



Spirit Day!! One of the best days of Breakthrough!  During Spirit Week, Breakthrough students and staff wore PJ's, dressed crazy (like the picture to the left), and dressed in their favorite sports wear!  It was a blast.  It was obvious during this week, that Breakthrough spirit is alive and well in all the students and staff of Breakthrough Twin Cities!



On the last day of Spirit Week, the 9th graders planned our Friday event.  We did an obstacle course, played Jeopardy!, and acted out charades. The picture to the right depicts one of the scariest games I have every played.  During this game, students worked in their colleges to carry a teammate on a mat to the other side of the gym.  Trust me, this game took tons of teamwork.



Last but not least, at the end of Spirit Week, the college with the most spirit points and all of the 9th graders got to throw pie at the teacher of their choice!  My name got called out by a student, and he nailed me in the face with pie!  Getting pie thrown at your face is actually a pretty great experience! Plus, it shows that the students care about you.

This Saturday, all of my students' hard work this summer will come to fruition in the form of Celebration!  Celebration is a time for students to show to their family members and other people all the hard work that they have done this summer.  Many Breakthrough classes created some sort of act for the students to perform on stage at Celebration!  My science students will be singing "Love is a Solution" (a parody of Frozen's "Love is an Open Door").  Also, my American Sign Language Class will be preforming an ASL ABC poem that they wrote!  It is going to be a great way to end the summer!

Thanks to all who read my blog and allowed me to share these amazing memories!