Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Random Thoughts

Post written by: Erin O'Connor
Year: Senior
Major(s): English
Minor(s): STEP

Its amazing how becoming an education major can change you so much. I have always been a compassionate person who cares about the well being of others… but once I started taking education classes it was like that trait almost took over most of my consciousness. One of the main things that I have learned from education classes is that as a future educator, I have to hold a mirror up to myself and look really deeply into it; I have to know myself inside and out. This is because as a teacher it is vital that I become aware of any biases I may have and work to rid myself of them. Future students will look to me as the holder of knowledge, the expert, the professional. My beliefs will have a rippling effect on all of my future students because they will take my beliefs as truth.

For example, let’s just say, maybe you hold a bias against women, maybe even subconsciously… well that bias will come out in your teaching and the young women in your classroom are going to pick up on it. They may feel like they don’t have as much of a “place” in the classroom due to the difference in the way you treat men vs women. They may start participating less. They may start believing in themselves less. They may start buying into gender roles.


Its crazy how much impact a teacher can have on a student and it is my job to make sure that that impact is a positive one and NOT a detrimental one. As Mahatma Gandhi once said, “A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes.” As a teacher, it is vital to examine your own thoughts because you will become your thoughts. Your students will be impacted by your thoughts.